Tennis is a beloved sport by all ages across the world. As a tennis enthusiast himself, Aaron Umen is a tennis coach and plays on the men’s team at Case Western. If you love the sport as much as him, check out these XX fun facts about tennis.
- When tennis was first invented in 12th century France, people used the palm of their hands to hit the ball. Rackets wouldn’t be introduced for another 400 years!
- “Tennis” comes from the French word “tenez” which means to “hold”, “receive”, or “take”.
- Rufus is the name of the Harris Hawk at Wimbledon that keeps pigeons out of the sky above the game.
- Tennis balls used to be white until 1986 when yellow tennis balls were introduced so people could see them better on television.
- Maria Sharapova made the loudest tennis grunt ever recorded in 2009 at 105 decibels.
- Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and was first held in 1877.