If you are someone who is passionate about making your community a better place, volunteering is a fantastic way to do just that. If you have ever thought about volunteering, you may be wondering what it is exactly you should do.
As someone with a passion for volunteering, Aaron Umen has been a dedicated volunteer for the past four years with World Bird Sanctuary and the Food Recovery Network. He has logged over 200 hours with World Bird Sanctuary, where he builds and maintains habitats for injured birds. At the Food Recovery Network, he works to fight food waste. Today he shares ideas for the types of volunteer work you could go into, depending on what your skills and interests are.
- Working with animals – this could include local wildlife, an animal shelter, walking dogs, farms, injured animals, etc.
- Conservation efforts or climate change activism, such as cleaning up local beaches, preserving nature trails, etc.
- Teaching – if you have knowledge about something, such as art, math, English, etc, you can volunteer your time to teach it to someone.
- Coaching a sport.
- Hospital volunteering.
- Community development, such as working in a soup kitchen or distributing clothes to people who need them.
- Volunteering with the elderly to assist them with daily activities and providing socialization.