Are you someone who loves birds? Maybe you go bird watching? Aaron Umen is a tennis coach and player who volunteers for the World Bird Sanctuary in his spare time. World Bird Sanctuary is a 305-acre reserve that houses and rehabilitates birds threatened by extinction. Today, Umen shares 8 fun facts about birds that you might not know about.
- Around the world, there are over 10,000 species of birds.
- Many birds can mimic sounds that humans make. Parrots are commonly known to do this, but ravens and crows can do this as well.
- The earliest known bird lives nearly 150 million years ago and is called the archaeopteryx. All birds evolved from theropods, to which tyrannosaurus rex also belonged.
- Birds are the only animal that is found on every continent in the world.
- An ostrich’s eyes are bigger than its brain.
- Albatrosses can go years at sea and never touch land. They can also sleep while flying.
- Crows are incredibly intelligent. They have the ability to mourn death and even recognize human faces.
- We rely on birds to pollinate plants and maintain biodiversity in the ecosystem.