In the United States alone, there are 77 species of birds that are at risk of extinction. Birds are important to our ecosystem, and it is important that we all do what we can to protect our environment. Aaron Umen is a tennis enthusiast and a dedicated volunteer for the Food Recovery Network and World Bird Sanctuary. Having worked closely with endangered birds, he shares his tips everyone can use to support their local bird populations.
- Pesticides are incredibly dangerous for birds, not to mention for the ecosystem as a whole. By refusing to use pesticides in your home, you’ll be doing a great service to birds and the environment as a whole
- Cats like to hunt birds. If you are a cat owner, making sure they are either inside or contained in an outdoor enclosure is a great way to keep the birds in your yard safe.
- Use plants that are native to your area in your garden. Not only will this revitalise the native ecosystem, but it provides a better habitat for birds to thrive in.
- Have you ever had a bird fly into your window unexpectedly? Did you know that this kills around 1 billion birds per year in the United States? You can help reduce this number by applying markings to your windows. You probably won’t even need to do this to every window in your house. If you notice that birds are always flying into one window in particular, or you find dead birds under a certain window, just apply markings to that one.
- Another great way to help birds is to get a bird feeder and bird bath for your garden. It helps them and you get to watch all the different kids of birds that fly through!